For seven years we have offered neurofeedback home rentals and in-office sessions, and with 47 rental units and thousands of individual neurofeedback sessions logged, we have compiled a list of 5 things to do to get the best results.
5 tips for best results from neurofeedback
- Train consistently. (How to get best results from neurofeedback - consistency is key!)
- Use the checklists to track results. (A Case Study on Neurofeedback for ADHD)
- Have the attitude that you're ready for the positive changes that will happen. (A Case Study on Neurofeedback for Anxiety)
- Add brain healthy foods to your diet. (ADHD and Diet - What foods to eat and to avoid)
- If the neurofeedback is for a child, train yourself as well. (Boost the effectiveness of neurofeedback training for families)
How do these 5 practices help get the most from neurofeedback?
- Train consistently. Whether it's once a week, twice a week or three times a week, consistency is key. You will end up with the same results with all three but results will be slower if you train only once a week.
- Because the results are seamless – we are re-training the automatic (unconscious) limbic brain - so the self-reporting checklists, filled out every 10 sessions is a great way to see the changes over time.
- Are you ready to be a calm person? A cheerful person? A focused, clear-thinking person? Telling yourself you are will boost your results. Research shows that the part of the brain connected with our beliefs is also connected with the pleasure/reward center of the brain. Boost your results by believing in what you are doing, which is engaging the part of the brain you do consciously control: the pre-frontal cortex. People who come in saying: "I'm ready to not be anxious when I drive" "I'm ready to enjoy my life" consistently see results faster.
- Add brain healthy foods to your diet. Omega 3 fatty acids, green leafy vegetables, and decrease foods that increase our symptoms such as caffeine, sugar, and processed foods. Did you know the brain mostly consists of fat? That's why eating the healthy fats is so important.
- If the neurofeedback is for a child, train yourself as well. Nervous systems in a family are connected to each other. If an alpha nervous system trains ie, a parent, then the beta nervous system, will have faster and longer-lasting results. Read more here.